Situated on a beautiful 400-acre, tree-lined campus located in the heart of Atlanta, Georgia Tech is a national and global leader. As a top ten public university, multiple Georgia Tech undergraduate and graduate programs in technology, engineering and business are ranked best in class. Its extensive research activities address real world challenges and provide solutions that improve quality of life for all.
With over $1 billion in sponsored research activity, Georgia Tech is a recognized leader in research, and is one of the South’s largest industrial and engineering research agencies, playing a leading role in the Georgia Research Alliance, a centerpiece of the state’s economic development strategy which expands university research capacity, seeding and shaping startup companies around inventions and discoveries.
Georgia Tech is an engineering research powerhouse.
Associate Director, Office of Technology Licensing Job Duties
Georgia Tech is seeking someone who strives to be a catalyst for excitement around technology commercialization. The Associate Director for the Office of Technology Licensing (OTL) will play an integral part in building on the forward momentum already achieved.
The successful candidate must be able to easily move between the high-level view of academic commercialization culture and strategy while carefully giving attention to details required in licensing and other intellectual property agreements. With responsibility for the stewardship of Georgia Tech’s intellectual property assets, the Associate Director must be comfortable with a broad range of technology sectors, including copyrighted works.
To advance the goals of corporate engagement, technology transfer, commercialization, and economic development, the Associate Director will actively partner with Director of OTL.
Under the general direction of and reporting to the Director of OTL, this position is responsible for assisting in the day-to-day management of technology commercialization operations and programs. Additionally, the Associate Director partners with the Director to set the goals, direction and expectations of the office as well as identifying and meeting stakeholder expectations.
Read the full Associate Director, Office of Technology Licensing position specification here.
Associate Director, Office of Technology Licensing Qualifications
The ideal candidate will possess the following skills and educational training:
- A high degree of energy, enthusiasm, and dedication to transferring technology for public benefit.
- Ability to collaborate with internal offices and third parties, including other academic institutions and industry.
- Leadership and supervisory experience in academic technology transfer or experience in corporate business development. Minimum of 5 years of licensing experience, with a preference for an in-depth understanding of and experience in a research university environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to efficiently and effectively mentor and guide a significant number of direct reports. Sets clear expectations and holds direct reports accountable for performance.
- Experience in supporting and growing professional development of technology transfer staff.
- Deep understanding of the academic research environment, including the various stakeholders of an academic technology transfer office.
- Bachelor’s degree in science or engineering is required; advanced degree is preferred.
Salary & Additional Information
- The salary for this role is $135,000-$155,000, commensurate with experience.
- Hybrid position with some presence on campus; to be determined with the Director.
- Visas will not be considered for the Associate Director position.
Additionally, we are supporting Georgia Tech in hiring Licensing Associates so let us know if that is a role that would be of interest to you. The ideal candidates will possess the following skills and educational training:
- 2-6+ years based on type of experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in science or engineering is required, with a background in physical science.
- Visas will not be considered for the LA positions.
Associate Director, Office of Technology Licensing and Licensing Associate Applicants
Interested in Applying?
Georgia Tech has exclusively retained Gardner Innovation Search Partners to manage this search. Gardner Innovation Search Partners is the top technology transfer recruiter in the world, and is committed to presenting a diverse slate of candidates who possess the skills, expertise, and enthusiasm to thrive in this role.
Interested applicants should send their resume, cover letter, and any questions to:
Lisa Rooney, Recruiter
Glen Gardner, Recruiter
Tom Sweetman, Recruiter
Gardner Innovation Search Partners is committed to diversity in both people and ideas. Read more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion here: https://gardnerisp.com/diversity-inclusion/.