The Tulane Innovation Institute is a transformative university-wide endeavor designed to bring Tulane research as well as the discoveries and breakthroughs of other institutions and individuals from the surrounding community and region to market faster. The Institute will help student, faculty, and community innovators further develop their ideas, launch startups, and attract the industry, investment, and talent that will fuel innovation in the Gulf South and strengthen the area’s economy.
Director, Innovation and Entrepreneurship Programs Job Duties:
The Director of Innovation & Entrepreneurship Programs is a member of the Tulane University Innovation Institute (TUII) team. TUII is designed to bridge the gap between university research and industry catalyzing the real-world impact of Tulane’s world-class research into technologies and products and university spinouts. The Director of Innovation & Entrepreneurship Programs is responsible for the development, management, and supporting complex and mission-critical functions of the Institute’s I&E programming, including university-wide strategic partnership, entrepreneurship education best-practices, as well as marketing and promotion of programs internally and externally in support of building a nationally recognized Institute. The Director of Innovation and Entrepreneurship Programs will support existing infrastructure and will be responsible for the development of new campus-wide or institute-level curricula, mentor programming, and implementing best practices for experiential learning and programming related to supporting translation of technologies and development of startups ready for funding rounds.
The primary role is to 1) develop, implement, and support programs for the Institute’s core pillars to commercialize, energize, and vitalize, 2) manage and steward early-stage commercialization and startup teams within the innovation funnel toward a funding opportunity, 3) developing a “nurturing” community for innovator and entrepreneurs, 4) tracking and reporting success ensuring long term program sustainability, and 5) support faculty in creating a culture of innovation through the development of curriculum and co-curricular activities including on-campus and off-campus programs.. The Director will report directly to the Chief Innovation & Entrepreneurship Officer and is part of the Tulane Innovation Institute’s core leadership team by contributing to the vision, strategy, and outcomes of the Institute’s interdisciplinary programs, and meaningful engagement with community and industry.
The Tulane Innovation Institute will leverage and harness the expertise of the Albert Lepage Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation, the Phyllis M. Taylor Center for Social Innovation and Design Thinking, the Office of Technology Transfer & Intellectual Property Development, and other campus programs and initiatives to build viable startups and educate innovators and entrepreneurs.
Salary and Benefits: The target salary for this role is $140,000, based on experience. Tulane offers a variety of options to enhance your health and well-being so that you may enjoy more out of life now and in the future. Learn more about life at Tulane as well as benefits and pay.
Here is the Tulane University Director, Innovation and Entrepreneurship Programs Position Specification with further details.
Director, Innovation and Entrepreneurship Programs Qualifications
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Deep working knowledge of ideation, commercialization, and acceleration programs.
- Proven track record working with industry mentors to support startup and founder development.
- Successful record as a founder of an enterprise, launching new ideas, or working in a startup organization.
- An understanding of industry, VC, and non-traditional funding sources as well as academia collaboration practices to secure federal, state and local economic development grant opportunities.
- Proven experience in engaging stakeholders in academic and corporate cultures to drive innovation outcomes.
- Deep understanding of higher education systems and structures; ability to earn the respect of faculty members; previous experience working within an academic research institution with, faculty, staff, and students preferred.
- Experience managing professionals and interns in a research commercialization setting.
- Ability to work with diverse constituencies and proven track record with DEIA.
- Excellent organizational, written, and oral communication skills.
- Strategic thinking, assessment and analytical skills: ability to link research capabilities with market needs and trends to identify opportunities for innovations and collaborations.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and customer service attitude when dealing with internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to multitask, work as a key member of the TUII Innovation Lab leadership team and ensure timely completion of work on complex assignments. Anticipates and recommends solutions to issues as an expert in conflict resolution.
- Highly self-motivated individual with ability to independently represent TUII and the university at large.
- Ability to proactively identify potential challenges and make recommendations to solve them.
- Ability to use/willingness to learn to use various software programs (such Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, PartneringOne, JuJu Ma, Bio One-to-One, Wellspring Sophia.)
Required Education and/or Experience
- Graduate Degree (Masters or PhD Education, Communications, Leadership, Business or MBA. preferred)
- 3-5 years professional experience in university program development, entrepreneurship education curriculum development, marketing, and communications.
Director, Innovation and Entrepreneurship Programs Applicants
Tulane University has exclusively retained Gardner Innovation Search Partners to manage this search. Gardner Innovation Search Partners is the top technology transfer recruiter in the world, and is committed to presenting a diverse slate of candidates who possess the skills, expertise, and enthusiasm to thrive in this role.
Interested applicants should send their resume and any questions to:
Gardner Innovation Search Partners is committed to diversity in both people and ideas. Read more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.