Align yourself with an organization that has a reputation for excellence! Cedars-Sinai was awarded the National Research Corporation’s Consumer Choice Award 19 years in a row for providing the highest-quality medical care in Los Angeles. They were also awarded the Advisory Board Company’s Workplace of the Year. This annual award recognizes hospitals and health systems nationwide that have outstanding levels of employee engagement. They hire team members who are committed to improving patients’ lives and provide an outstanding benefit package, along with competitive compensation. Discover why U.S. News & World Report has named Cedars-Sinai one of America’s Best Hospitals.
Accomplishments of Cedars-Sinai Technology Licensing Ventures Office include:
- Technology Ventures currently manages more than 120 licenses that have generated over $150 million in royalties in last five years. Net income from the program is reinvested in research.
- Cedars-Sinai’s intellectual property portfolio consists of over 500 technologies and more than 1000 patents. Nearly 40% of the technologies are licensed to outside companies that are either selling or actively developing diagnostic tests, drugs, or other products.
- Association of University of Technology Managers Survey: For gross licensing income Cedars-Sinai’s Technology Ventures Program ranked 3rd among 23 reporting peer institutions (academic medical centers) and 5th of 171 reporting institutions in the more competitive class that includes university programs. In the same survey, Cedars-Sinai ranked 10th for number of invention disclosures per $10M of research expenditures at peer institutions.
- The Technology Ventures’ equity investment portfolio consists of over 15 biotechnology companies with approximately $220M in equity under management.
- View the Cedars-Sinai Technology Ventures Report. Browse our latest report to learn more about our missions and success stories.
About the Licensing Associate position
Under the supervision of the manager, the Licensing Associate will provide support for invention disclosure, marketing, licensing and de-risking activities of the invention portfolio in the Technology Ventures Office (TVO) at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center.
Invention Disclosure Process (25%):
- Internally provide assistance and support to inventors for submitting invention disclosures to the TVO.
- Interact with inventors to ensure inventions at the Medical Center are disclosed & processed by the TVO.
- Responsible for ensuring completeness of the invention disclosure forms.
- Perform initial analysis and recommendations on the technologies disclosed to the TVO.
- Work with the manager in the assessment of invention disclosures for marketing and commercial potential.
- Participate in seminars and grand rounds at the Medical Center to enhance TVO presence and to help identify potential inventions.
Marketing and Licensing Technology (35%):
- Work closely with manager to develop & implement general and technology specific marketing strategies.
- Input marketing activities and communication information into internal database.
- Write non-confidential summaries of technologies and posting summaries.
- Conduct market research and analysis to identify potential licensing or commercialization partners.
- Send non-confidential summaries of technologies to potential licensees to market technologies.
- Present and market technologies at national and International meetings.
- Perform financial analysis and valuations of early-stage technologies.
- Negotiate agreements to out-license technologies to identified partners with support from the manager
- Negotiate option agreements as applicable.
De-risking Technology (15%):
- Participate in the management of de-risking projects for selected technologies to improve market readiness.
- Identify contract research organizations (CROs) to perform R&D work on selected inventions.
- Manage projects with regards to legal framework, finance, timeline and outcome.
- Manage expectation and facilitate communication between inventors and CROs.
- Secure potential new inventions or improvements over existing inventions through patenting.
- Responsible for organizing education sessions for inventors.
- Work with the manager to identify key topics, prepare flyers, invite speakers and market educational events to key audience within the Medical Center.
- Perform other duties (e.g., prepare analysis, reports, meeting presentations) as assigned by the manager.
- Perform special projects as required by the manager.
The ideal candidate for this role will possess the following training, skills, and expertise:
- Master’s degree in science required.
- PhD in science preferred.
- General knowledge of business practices related to intellectual property protection and commercialization required.
- Two years of experience in managing early-stage life science technologies, (with exposure to medical device and digital health preferred) in academic technology transfer offices, life science companies or life science-focused investment firms highly preferred.
- Great teammate with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Basic understanding of the academic medical research enterprise.
- Experience working with researchers.
- Self-motivated and able to manage multiple projects with excellent attention to detail.
Working & Living in Hollywood
Cedars-Sinai is a nonprofit academic healthcare organization serving the diverse Los Angeles community and beyond. With pioneering medical research achievements, education programs defining the future of healthcare, and wide-ranging community benefit activities.
Cedars-Sinai is ranked nationally in 11 specialties and has been named #6 on to the “Honor Roll” in U.S. News & World Report “Best Hospitals 2021-22.
Whether you enjoy world-class attractions, cuisine, shopping, and museums or prefer outdoor activities and sports, Los Angeles has something for everyone. The ideal backdrop for an endless number of activities is year-round sunshine. Cedars-Sinai is centrally located in the middle of everything. You’re never too far from something new and exciting while working and living here.
What is it really like living in Hollywood, California? Visit Cedars-Sinai Living here to find out! Interested in schools, restaurants, and other things to do in this area? Check out this interactive map.
Qualified for this position? Contact us.
Cedars-Sinai has exclusively retained Gardner Innovation Search Partners to manage this search. Gardner Innovation Search Partners is the top technology transfer recruiter in the world, and is committed to presenting a diverse slate of candidates who possess the skills, expertise, and enthusiasm to thrive in this role.
Interested applicants should send their resume, a non-confidential deal sheet, and any questions to:
Lisa Rooney, Recruiter
Glen Gardner, Recruiter
Dave Winwood, Recruiter
Gardner Innovation Search Partners is committed to diversity in both people and ideas. Read more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Read the full position specification here.