For over 100 years, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation (“CCF” or Cleveland Clinic”) has been a nonprofit multispecialty academic medical center that integrates clinical and hospital care with research and education.
Cleveland Clinic has been at the forefront of modern medicine since it was first organized as a multi-specialty group practice in 1921. From a small outpatient clinic, it has grown to become the world’s first integrated international health system. With more than 70,000 caregivers worldwide, Cleveland Clinic has over 10 million patient visits per year, at its 6,500-bed health system that includes a 173-acre main campus near downtown Cleveland, 21 hospitals, more than 220 outpatient facilities, including locations in northeast Ohio; southeast Florida; Las Vegas, Nevada; Toronto, Canada; Abu Dhabi, UAE; and London, England.
About Cleveland Clinic Innovations
Innovations was established by Cleveland Clinic leadership to reimagine the way technology is transferred from an academic institution to market. Designed for capabilities far beyond those of a traditional tech transfer office, Innovations’ robust team of market analysts, subject matter experts, and former medical industry leaders have brought actionable insights to every project that has crossed their desks in the last 20 years.
Innovations is the commercialization arm of Cleveland Clinic. The office grew out of the organization’s deep-rooted commitment to ‘Patients First’ and their renowned innovative culture. Focusing on domain portfolios – life science (therapeutics and diagnostics), medical devices, and health information technology – and leveraging an enterprise passion for medical advancement, Innovations drives patient-centered solutions to market. Innovations uses a unique approach to assess, protect, build, test, and market the most promising ideas of their caregivers. Since its inception in 2000, the office has transacted and obtained a wealth of technology licenses and issued patents.
Senior Director – Strategic Licensing Duties and Responsibilities:
Cleveland Clinic is seeking an exceptionally driven, attentive and collaborative Senior Director, Strategic Licensing to play a critical leadership role in driving the commercialization and licensing strategy for Cleveland Clinic Innovations. Duties and responsibilities include:
- Define and execute the licensing and partnering strategies for the portfolio of Cleveland Clinic technologies.
- Implement quality license agreements which align with Cleveland Clinic policies, processes, and operations and with commercialization goals and objectives.
- Develop, implement, and maintain standard operating procedures for technology licensing processes and procedures.
- Develop and implement effective, efficient, and transparent processes and ensure high level communications with constituents and key stakeholders.
- Continuously improve and update licensing policies, procedures, and systems to safeguard the assets of Cleveland Clinic and its affiliated organizations.
- Provide advice, counsel, and education on licensing and intellectual property matters.
- Support outreach efforts with industry, academia, the investment community, entrepreneurs, and potential collaborators to form partnerships to translate Cleveland Clinic technologies to the marketplace.
- Establish and foster relationships with Cleveland Cinic’s clinicians, researchers and inventors. Collaborate closely with Cleveland Clinic Leadership, Strategy, Research and Innovations.
- Support the negotiation of license agreements, option agreements, and other transactional agreements. Serve as an expert to advance complex negotiations and establish standard/template terms.
- Develop and communicate clear and cohesive processes for the Business Development & Licensing professionals in the office and foster a collaborative team environment.
- Collaborate closely with Cleveland Clinic NewCo team in executing on opportunities to commercialize Cleveland Clinic technologies through startup companies.
- Support opportunities for Cleveland Clinic to invest in commercial partners.
- Work closely with the Corporate Strategy team to explore and support strategic collaborations with key innovation partners.
- Bachelor’s degree in life or physical sciences, biomedical engineering, finance or business.
- An advanced degree in business administration and/or legal (JD, MBA, or JD, MBA) is preferred.
Here is the Cleveland Clinic Senior Director – Strategic Licensing full position specification with further details.
Senior Director Applicants
Cleveland Clinic Innovations has exclusively retained Gardner Innovation Search Partners to manage this search. Gardner Innovation Search Partners is the top technology transfer recruiter in the world, and is committed to presenting a diverse slate of candidates who possess the skills, expertise, and enthusiasm to thrive in this role.
Interested applicants should send their resume, a non-confidential deal sheet, and any questions to:
Lisa Rooney, Recruiter
Glen Gardner, Recruiter
Dave Winwood, Recruiter
Gardner Innovation Search Partners is committed to diversity in both people and ideas. Read more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
About Cleveland, Ohio
Cleveland, Ohio is a vibrant and culturally diverse city right on Lake Erie. There’s something literally for everyone – no matter what your interests are! With beautiful neighborhoods to meet your housing and family needs, you are sure to feel right at home living and working here.
Read more about Cleveland: https://www.thisiscleveland.com/.