Situated on a beautiful 400-acre, tree-lined campus located in the heart of Atlanta, Georgia Tech is a national and global leader. As a top ten public university, multiple Georgia Tech undergraduate and graduate programs in technology, engineering and business are ranked best in class. Its extensive research activities address real world challenges and provide solutions that improve quality of life for all.
With over $1 billion in sponsored research activity, Georgia Tech is a recognized leader in research, and is one of the South’s largest industrial and engineering research agencies, playing a leading role in the Georgia Research Alliance, a centerpiece of the state’s economic development strategy which expands university research capacity, seeding and shaping startup companies around inventions and discoveries.
Georgia Tech is an engineering research powerhouse.
Senior Licensing/Licensing Associate Job Duties
As a key member of the Technology Licensing team reporting to the Director of Technology Licensing, the Senior Licensing/Licensing Associate will be responsible for actively engaging researchers across Georgia Tech in the technology transfer and commercialization process. The position will manage the evaluation and protection of the Institute’s world class research discoveries and negotiate licenses and other commercialization related agreements.
This position vacancy is an open rank announcement. Final job offer will be dependent on candidate qualifications in alignment with Research Faculty Extension Professional ranks as outlined in section 3.2.1 of the Georgia Tech Faculty Handbook.
This key position will work proactively with Georgia Tech researchers to ensure appropriate protection of intellectual property, innovations, and discoveries, including the following responsibilities:
Academic or Industrial, Physical Science, Information Technology, Software, or Engineering Expertise
- Evaluating research discoveries for commercial application and navigating through the various stages of the technology transfer process.
- Participating in scientific discussions with faculty experts and industrial partners.
- Actively engaging faculty and their research in the commercialization process.
Intellectual Property Management
- Ensuring compliance with Georgia Tech, State and Federal laws, regulations and policies applicable to technology transfer and intellectual property.
- Managing patent filings, copyright or trademark registration as appropriate in coordination with the inventors, authors and intellectual property counsel; Reviewing prior agreements for conflicts of obligation; facilitating compliance for obligations under federal grants, Bayh-Dole Act and Georgia Tech’s mission.
- Drafting and negotiating license agreements and various other intellectual property contracts.
Institutional and Community Representation
- Representing the university in technical and professional meetings, and through meetings with faculty and commercial partners.
Job position specifications & more info
Senior Licensing/Licensing Associate Qualifications
In order to excel in this position, candidates must have:
- Physical sciences or engineering background preferred, advanced degree or bachelor degree with equivalent experience required; experience in physical science, information technology, software and/or engineering research.
- 1-5 years’ experience in university technology transfer or equivalent licensing experience.
- Ability to draft and negotiate agreements for licensing and transfer of materials, understand and market technologies to industry, work with faculty and students in the evaluation of early-stage technologies, and understand intellectual property and contract law.
- Excellent analytical and communication skills, including the ability to present written or oral materials in a concise and professional manner. Independent judgment and initiative are required.
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively and productively with faculty and senior officials from academia, industry and government.
- Ability to successfully manage a complex and large portfolio of diverse technologies and carry multiple, extended projects concurrently through to completion.
Salary & Additional Information
- The salary for this role is $70,000-$124,000, commensurate with experience.
- Hybrid position with some presence on campus; to be determined with the Director.
- Visas will not be considered for this position.
Senior Licensing/Licensing Associate Applicants
Interested in Applying?
Georgia Tech has exclusively retained Gardner Innovation Search Partners to manage this search. Gardner Innovation Search Partners is the top technology transfer recruiter in the world, and is committed to presenting a diverse slate of candidates who possess the skills, expertise, and enthusiasm to thrive in this role.
Interested applicants should send their resume along with any questions to:
Lisa Rooney, Recruiter
Glen Gardner, Recruiter
Tom Sweetman, Recruiter
Gardner Innovation Search Partners is committed to diversity in both people and ideas. Read more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion here: https://gardnerisp.com/diversity-inclusion/.